This blog describes in words and pictures the building of a Paul Gartside designed fantail launch. There are a number of fantail launches of various sizes on the Paul Gartside website at http://store.gartsideboats.com/collections/steam-launches.

My boat will look like his 20 foot steam launch but will be 18 feet long and will be powered by a small diesel or petrol engine or possibly an electric motor. I have built a rowing boat, one and a half sailing boats and a small canoe and so this will be something different.

If you would like to contact me please click to send me an email.

Monday 28 December 2015

First Layer of Strips Complete

I put the last of the first layer of strips on yesterday. Here are a couple of photos of the bow of the boat. The angle isn't good because I have to stand on a box outside the shed and take the photo through the window. The result is that the photos are foreshortened.






















Next job is to clean off the glue and sand the hull "flat" to remove the ridges where the strips didn't quite line up nicely. Also to fill in the small hollows, 2 on each side at the stern and 1 each side at the bow. I could just put strips over the hollows and fill the space with glue but I feel happier with this  two stage process.

No comments:

Post a Comment