This blog describes in words and pictures the building of a Paul Gartside designed fantail launch. There are a number of fantail launches of various sizes on the Paul Gartside website at http://store.gartsideboats.com/collections/steam-launches.

My boat will look like his 20 foot steam launch but will be 18 feet long and will be powered by a small diesel or petrol engine or possibly an electric motor. I have built a rowing boat, one and a half sailing boats and a small canoe and so this will be something different.

If you would like to contact me please click to send me an email.

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Strip Planking on Port Side

Since the last post (is it really 3 weeks ago?) I have slowly been fitting strips in the final layer on the port side. Here are a couple of photos; first shows progress after the first 2 days - 4 strips one day 6 the next. The strips are 50mm wide, the boat is 5.5 metres long so there are a lot of strips!


The last few strips were fitted yesterday, as you can see they get shorter and shorter. This didn't make them easier to fit because there is a "hollow" curve towards the stem and holding these last strips became quite tricky. The plastic nails I have been using didn't have enough grip so I resorted to "sky-props" and screws through pads.

So, that's one side finished. The other side of the boat will take at least a couple of weeks and I will post something when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment